Hospital Sisters of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis

Sister M. Ludwina Kohara

✝ Tuesday, July 10th 2018

Ending long years of illness, Sister M. Ludwina Kohara née Clara Kohara was called home by our Heavenly Father on July 10, 2018 at 11:04 PM

Sister M. Ludwina was born on January 22, 1941, in Kumamoto Prefecture. Having in mind to become a nurse, she enrolled in the nursing school affiliated with St. Mary's Hospital (Tokyo). There in the gift shop of the convent she saw the pictures, rosaries, medals etc., and was attracted to a life in an all together different atmosphere than she had ever imagined. Among the various pictures she chose a picture of a person wearing a brown long garment in the woods among the birds. That was Sister's encounter with Francis, after which she was baptized. She took as her baptismal name the name of his first daughter, "Clara”. After that, in 1965 she entered our Community, and in 1968 pronounced her first vows. This year on June 30, she celebrated her golden jubilee; however, she celebrated in the hospital bed.

Sister M. Ludwina's specific service in the Community was in office work of our Nagasaki and Himeji hospitals, having also been head of the office of St. Mary's Hospital in Himeji. From 1986 she worked in the Provincial Office as treasurer, or assistant treasurer. Then she was a convalescent for several years.

Before entering the Community she had kidney problems, but she strongly desired religious life, and was accepted. In 1978 she started kidney dialysis treatment, and continued for 40 years. Other treatments have been tried: She had a kidney replacement procedure at one time, but it failed. For several years peritoneal dialysis was chosen, but return to kidney dialysis was resumed. During these 40 years in which Sister received treatments three times a week, imagine what patience it took. Repeatedly going into the hospital, while "hoping to live," she was able to return to the convent. She had a strong will to live. Now and then we could detect a bit of self-love, but there was a lot of misery of which we did not know. Sister had a lot of humor and could give us a lot of joy, but recently she was not able to do so. She was a person with a weak body but a strong will.

On the last evening, she said to the sisters who alternately stayed with her and others who visited her, "Thank you" and "I am glad you came. "

Now she is free from all pain, and rests with God the Father. While praying for the repose of her soul, let us ask Sister M. Ludwina to look upon our needs as an intercessor before God.