Hospital Sisters of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis
1939 – 1945
In the 2nd World War, 325 Sisters are active in direct field hospital service.
Dec 05, 1944
The motherhouse in Münster is hit and destroyed by bombs. St. Francis Hospital is also badly damaged.
Aug 15, 1945
The Silesian Province comes under Polish administration. The Sisters continue their work under difficult conditions.
Jun 24, 1948
With the advance of Communism in China, the Sisters are forced to leave Tsinanfu. The three Chinese Sisters who remain have no contact with the order from more than 30 years.
Dec 01, 1948
The Chinese missionaries establish new mission stations in Japan. The regional house is in Nibuno-Himeji with a further house in Nagasaki.
Sep 05, 1949
The first Sisters from the American Province are sent to the American Indian mission, first to Gallup, New Mexico, and then to Arizona.
Mar 08, 1950
The General Constitutions receive final approbation from the Holy See.
Oct 11, 1950
Fr. Christoph Bernsmeyer's remains are transferred from the Telgte Cemetery to the Sisters' cemetery at St. Rochus Hospital.
Apr 19, 1952
The rebuilt motherhouse church is consecrated. The American Province provided the general motherhouse with generous financial and material assistance in overcoming war damage.
Dec 08, 1954
The congregation dedicates itself to the Heart of Mary. Now the Sisters bear the name Mary in addition to their religious names.