Hospital Sisters of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis

1955 - 1989

Dec 31, 1967
The congregation now has 3,506 Sisters including 377 in the Silesian Province, 761 in the American Province, and 2,368 in Rhineland-Westphalian Province.

Jul 15, 1968
Five Chinese Sisters begin missionary work from the USA among their fellow Chinese people in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

Nov 14, 1968
A General Chapter of Renewal adapts the Constitutions and the life of the congregation to the promulgations of the Second Vatican Council and changing contemporary circumstances.

Mai 31, 1969
The Rhineland-Westphalian Province divides into the provinces "Maria-Königin" (provincialate in Telgte) and "Christ-König" (provincialate Kamp-Lintfort).

Mai 31, 1969
A region is established in the Netherlands directly under the Generalate (regional house in Leeuwarden).

Jan 06, 1973
The first German missionary Sister goes to India.

Sep 03, 1977
The Japanese region is given province status. The provincial house is in Nibuno-Himeji.

Dec 08, 1981
The first Indian novices are received at the mission station in Pithora, India.

Dec 08, 1982
Papal confirmation of the revised Rule of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis.

Apr 12, 1983
In the Netherlands, the region status is cancelled for the last convent in Leeuwarden.

Nov 27, 1983
The new Code of Canon Law comes into force.

Mar 12, 1987
Sister M. Odorika dies, the last Sister of our congregation in China.

Dec 31, 1987
The congregation now has 2,169 Sisters: 1,436 in the two German Provinces, 370 in the American Province, 241 in the Silesian-Polish Province, 65 in the Japanese Province and 57 in India.

American Sisters start working in Haiti.

Dec 10, 1989
Consecration of the two additional new bells in the motherhouse church by Auxiliary Bishop Ostermann.